The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

4 posters

advertising on the portal/home page

Abnett
    Abnett

advertising on the portal/home page Empty advertising on the portal/home page

Post by Abnett Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:26 am

Just wondering what extent of advertising you have authorised as one just popped up "you are the 999,999th visitor to this site, congratulations you win a brand new Audi A4!" I'd love to collect but also warn anyone not to click the link as it'll give you tonnes of spam. I clicked on it for a laugh and now my anti-virus and anti-spam software is going absolutely nuts! affraid
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

advertising on the portal/home page Empty Re: advertising on the portal/home page

Post by Peter Skillen Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:27 am

yes beware we done have controll at least i dont think so.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

advertising on the portal/home page Empty Re: advertising on the portal/home page

Post by Al Peasland Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:40 pm

Was just wondering that myself

Maybe we should send a note to all forum users to be aware - these naff ads are not of our doing!

Post by Guest Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:39 pm

Hey guys

Just read this,

Unfortunately, it looks like part and parcel of the server we are using.
    and the add banners just bloody pop up from time to time. or change each time you log in or refresh the page. I dont think there is a way to remove them but I will look into it. if it is part of the site then we may have them sat there for the duration. but ill take a look when I get a moment and try and find out.

Craig
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:20 pm

unfortunately, as this is a free site, they have to make money somehow, so the ads stay, and are out of our control.

fortunately, your gloriously awesome admin Rick has found a way around it.

you need firefox (which is, coincidently, the best browser EVER anyway, so you should already have it, or should at least install it immediately)

once you have firefox installed, simply visit this link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

and click add to firefox, and select the top list (america i think) this is just a list of ads to block. it covers most of them.
    now if you see any ads you dont want to see again, just click the 'block' tabs above them Very Happy

once installed, it will do 2 things. 1) speed up your internet. it does not load the ads at all, so pages load quicker because there is less to download.
    2) it will make 99% of ads from ALL sites disappear Very Happy

your welcome Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:31 am