The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+3
Dave Stanswood
7 posters

Grading - yes or no?

Tigger
    Tigger

Grading - yes or no? Empty Grading - yes or no?

Post by Tigger Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:14 am

Ok, I am going to post this and then disappear out of the UK for a few days on business, I tell you this so you don’t think I am ignoring any replies, of which I hope there will be some Very Happy

My question is around grading. Who does grade within their class? Do you think it is a benefit to your students? Do you make them pay to be graded?

I have been in classes which do both, and I can see both sides of the argument around this, however I have had only 2 instructors views - so I am interested to see what others think around this subject.

Many thanks and Take care

Grading - yes or no? Empty Re: Grading - yes or no?

Post by karma Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:21 am

Ok I'll bite  Where to begin .I think it's a double edged sword.I've seen people gain black blelt (or the equivalent) and never train again .And I've seen people get the same grade and seem to think they know it all(which is plain absurd but it happens)  But in general I think that grades in a club can be beneficial .For beginners it can give  great motivation .  Perhaps we should ask how often should people grade, do you think it should be every 3 months, shorter or longer and what do they have to do to pass?(my students grade about every 6 months and the gradings usually last about 4 hours sometimes more  and they have to kill a bull with their bare hands just to pass their 2nd khan that's like "yellow belt")
    On the subject of money yes they do pay .This is how I make my living and sometimes it can be tough just to make rent.But I try to give value for money and the trainings honest.
    Going back a few years I remember reading an article with Geoff Thompson and he brought up the point that would the martial arts community have listened to him in the early 90's about RBSD if he hadn't been a high ranking karateka.(Although he did get some grief from what I've read!!)
    Perhaps I'm starting to waffle, as long as people don't think that a belt or certificate will win a fight for them I don't see the problem.

Cheers for now
    Karl cheers
    Tigger
    Tigger

Post by Tigger Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi Karl

Just very quickly.. thanks for biting :-) I appreciate your comments, and some things I had not thought about as well i.e the time period and of course the aspect that people will actually take notice i.e the Geoff T's article.

Right gotta dash, but I just wanted to say thanks
    Dave Stanswood
    Dave Stanswood

Post by Dave Stanswood Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:11 pm

I think gradings are good as they act as a reference point for your ability and where you are now. I needed them as a focus for my training. The grading is not the down side what your graded on and how your graded can be.
    Ultimately is up to the person training and what there after
    Dave

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:21 pm

Hey Guys...

Nice post Tigger,

Personally when I was training and started off as a kid, I found the focus to get the techniques right, and work harder knowing I had a grading coming up and wanted my new Belt. I think as we get older, some people like the grading system as it gives them something to focus on. I personally now just prefer to train and learn. so gradings for me now are not the be all and end all, but it is nice to be recognised at times for the work you put in.

Like dave said, I agree with the grading is not the down side, but how you are graded is and after what period of time should the grading take place.

Craig
    cheers
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:53 pm

im think its important to strike a balance. grading for gradings sake as some mcdojos do these days isnt really on in my opinion, but at the same time, i think its important to know A: how well we are doing in terms of advancement etc, and B: that we are training at the correct level.

Post by karma Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:58 pm

Well said all . Karl
    Stuart Rider
    Stuart Rider

Post by Stuart Rider Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:12 pm

When it comes to gradings, belts etc I am I am in two minds but I do understand it from both the students and instructors side.

I think it is important to have gradings in organisations / classes that bring in outside instructors to sit on the grading panel or when the students have to travel to another location so they can test under an associations head and not their regular instructor. This ensures (or at least should) a minimum standard with all students within the organisation. However when it comes to gradings of students who train in independent systems, on a one to one basis or are not part of large organisations then I feel assessments are the way to go. Instead of grading students and passing / failing them because they failed to perform one evening, then assess them constantly over a certain period of time.

One thing I do feel is vital though is that all students must train for a minimum number of hours, before they can test / be promoted.
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:29 pm

We grade in karate and don't in tai chi. The only relationship gradings have is to establish the relationship between instructor and student, it lets them know what they should be learning and ultimately it establishes the management structure in a club or association.

We give grades including dan grades out in class, free of charge, without ceremony or fuss and remind the students that it's another 'added responsibility' for them.
    Lee Morrison

Post by Lee Morrison Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:05 pm

I offer a 5 level grading syllabus for those that want a yardstick to progress or of course if the goal much further down the road, was to become an instructor. But it is not compulsory for my students, I have several guys that have trained with me privately for 4 years and have never taken a grading. But I do think it offers a means or as I said before, a yard stick to progress so I like the idea.
    Cheers
    Tigger
    Tigger

Post by Tigger Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:37 am

Hi Guys
    Sorry for the late reply to everyone, my few days of being out of the country turned into 3 weeks of me jumping on and off planes! (Believe sounds much better than it was!). Anyway I just wanted to say thank you to all who have replied, all the responses are great and I really appreciate your open and honest replies.

Thanks again Guys

Tigger

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:38 am

Hide.....

Tigger is back bounce

Was a good post tigger, and got some good replies too
    keep em coming

cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:12 pm