The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

5 posters

New Doormen SIA Training

Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

New Doormen SIA Training Empty New Doormen SIA Training

Post by Al Peasland Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Saw the interview on BBC Breakfast news this morning

Found a link here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/front_page/newsid_10180000/newsid_10186100/10186122.stm

Any thoughts?

Interesting approach to the Fence!!!!!

Also noticed a distinct lack of "Fit" and "Trained" looking doormen and women in the training clips!!!
    sarissa

New Doormen SIA Training Empty splayed hands guard

Post by sarissa Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:01 am

hmm. Hi Al, I am not sure about splaying the fingers in the guard position. Having been on the receiving end of Wally Jay's prowess for all things fingers i,e the breaking of them and the pain associated I don't think I would recommend this position. There again how many Wally Jay's do you bump into every day? lol.

regards

Steve.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

New Doormen SIA Training Empty Re: New Doormen SIA Training

Post by Al Peasland Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:25 pm

Hi Steve

Yes - I was being a little ironic about the Fence instruction on that clip Wink

Along with how those on the clip were all overweight doormen and women.
    Maybe I'm getting old but most doormen I worked with were trained, tough fighters, and who had decent lungs to "go a bit" before they ran out of steam

I understand the need for SIA qualifications and registration - but my fear is people will start to think that this is ALL they need to be capable and ready to work the doors!
    Especially when they are getting Control and Restraint techniques taught in very compliant scenario training and quite poor execution and demonstration of the Fence!

just my thought Wink
    Kapapbristol

Post by Kapapbristol Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:48 pm

Having seen some of the techniques that are to be used and speaking with trainers I have 2 very real worries. The first is that almost all of what I have seen was for use against a compliant partner and I fear just plain won't work when needed. The other is the legal implications,one set of ds has c&r training,the others do not. My concern is that when the taught techniques fail or are just plain useless at the start and they revert to whatever they know then I'm sure it won't be long before somebodys lawyer is pointing out that what was used isn't what was taught. I understand and agree with the need for decent training but this isn't it. This is designed for dealing with belligerant students and people who can be overpowered. At no point does it cover the 20+stone monster who is intent on ramming a beer glass in your face. I will be at work tonight as head doorman in a city centre club and I will try as I always do to keep violence as a last resort,but you never know,today may be my day with the 20stone madman. Every night any doorman works is a gamble,surely we deserve the correct training.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:25 pm

here here!
    sarissa

Post by sarissa Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi Al

I have spent the last 3 days attending the EDI level 2 certificate in door supervision more out of curiosity really as I wanted to know what was being taught. The reality is that unless you are a trained self defence/competent reality based martial artist then this award does not teach you anything about the physicality of the door. All it taught me (did it teach me?) was health and safety (which I already have a certificate in) conflict management (excuse me while I yawn) and lots of legal niceties and general common sense. None of the participants were interested in door work who can blame them lol and were just looking for an entry award into event security or festivals. Apart from a little machismo from the Wing Chun guys who taught it all in all it was a waste of my time and money. The exams were even worse with woolly questions.

Still as they say unless you go to these events you can't comment. I went and the above is I believe fair comment.

Steve.
    Gav t

Post by Gav t Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:24 am

Awful...unreal and unworkable! kapapbristol, where do you work? i have also worked a few venues in bristol!
    Marc1978

Post by Marc1978 Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:26 pm

That bird learning the C & R techniques at the 1.32 mark looks well tasty!!

Marc Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:42 am