The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+8
Tigger
Steve Rowe
Jamie Clubb
Dave Turton
Dave Stanswood
Al Peasland
AMC Steve

Knife crime

Tigger
    Tigger

Knife crime - Page 2 Empty Re: Knife crime

Post by Tigger Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:55 am

Hi Aasim - I carry a kubotan and have trained with a few of my instructors as to how to use it. I do agree that the fact that I train with weapons through JKD, I am in no way confident that I would or could pull anything off!! I do also however carry a pen with me as well, I did kind of get that from the Bourne film I admit, but hey “the pen is mightier than the sword” ;-)

To all - On another note, I will again go for the controversial side (yeah sorry!) I don’t agree with increasing jail sentences; they don’t work plain and simple. I have spent time talking to teenagers and believe me jail holds no fear at all for them! In fact they view it as an easy way out! They are in there, they get everything paid for, and a lot of them have kids or pregnant girlfriends so their view is if they get “banged” up then the government has to look after them as well! - Scary but true! And I don’t believe that this view is only felt where I live either! I do think that Jacqui Smith has a good point, show teenagers WHAT the after effects are, what it means to attack someone.. ok not everyone will care but if 1 or 2 teenagers realise what the aftermath really means, sees the reality, then surely that has to be more effective then upping a jail sentence which in this day and age means s*d all!
    AFinlayson

Post by AFinlayson Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:34 am

there's no point in extended jail sentences if jails isn't seen as a punishment. take away their tv's, privileges and see how many go back to jail.

off the point of the thread a little - but why carry a pen? if you have to resort to that there's something missing in the training somewhere!?

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:50 am

I agree on the sentancing also.

tigger is not the only one who carries a pen, most people do, and depending on the pen, even in most cases a normal Bic Biro it is very effective, obviously not going into uses on here to post freely, but as a sharp pointy implement you can use your imagination.

thats like saying why have a kubotan on your keyring, if you have to resort to it, then something is missing. personal preference comes into play and if its known how to be used, it can be very effective. chances of it being used? prob not much if at all, but always another option, and if someone has a little more confidence for carrying it then thats the persons prerogative.

however like I say, I would not rely on a pen or anything else I was carrying, maybe just to write the guy a nasty letter, AFTER I had kicked his A&& and he gone to his place of recovery. who knows.

cheers
    AMC Steve
    AMC Steve

Post by AMC Steve Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:51 am

Pen/Kubotan - is it really a case of something missing in the training or is it just another tool in the arsenal (I suddenly feel like I am beginning to get out of the frying pan here as well)?
    For those of us who train in some of the Filipino Arts, the blade is trained (these days) for the purposes of line familiarisation and hand to eye co-ordination and speed, however, those skills (blade) can also be put to use using the above tools. Now I mentioned earlier that I carry one myself and my reasons for carrying it, however, as Craig said earlier, what are the chances of me using it? probably not very much, but on the off chance somebody comes at me with a bottle/knife, I would rather have the equaliser on me, than be sitting in A&E with 20 stitches and an "if only" floating around in my head. I am not the hardest person in the world, in fact far from it, but I have trained martial arts for about 11 to 12 years, I'm a full time doorman, renowned for being 'diplomatic', yes that's right, diplomatic. Not for a big right hand or for choking people out, but after all that time and my current profession, do I feel that carrying it is alerting me to the fact that something is missing from my training? No. I train various stuff being a JKD guy, including self protection and will always feel the need to better myself in all areas of my training and to add more tools to my arsenal and if that means carrying a pen/kubotan, then surely that is my choice for my 'self protection'.
    On a final note, and I mean no disrespect here, but AFinlayson, when you train/teach Self Protection, do you train weapon attacks and does the 'equaliser' (not Edward Woodward Wink) not come into it when you do. As I say, please don't take this the wrong way, but I am interested on your views after your last post?
    Anyhoo, as usual, I've started with the intention of a quick phrase or two and ended up rambling on and kind of feel like I've got off the topic.
    Prison? They should try and make it less like a holiday camp and give the ******* the full sentence! However, like I said in my original post, it is the discipline and education of the young where this fight will be won and not in the jail cells.
    That's all for now folks Wink
    AFinlayson

Post by AFinlayson Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi AMC Steve, Craig

no disrespect taken whatsoever, what's the point of a forum without discussions afterall? i too of course welcome your thoughts, experiences and opinions or i wouldn't be here.

i don't teach but i've trained in a quite a variety of systems and concepts such as krav, senshido etc. i've done a bit with knives and everyday implements also.

some of the training i've been involved has tried to replicate the speed and aggression of a knife or violent attack. this leads me to believe that it would be pretty difficult to use a pen or a kubaton. they are both close range weapons. why would i use them when an elbow, throat/eye strike more than likely cause more damage?

the thought of a worse case scenario being attacked with knife and i ultimately have to rely (and have the time) to grab my keys out of my pocket and strike them with a small piece of metal just seems laughable to me.

i don't have any evidence other than it seems to make no sense. if you guys have info and experience to the contrary i'd love to hear it.

to have them on your person is as you state an additional tool but why complicate things.

if you find it helps with confidence that more power to you but my opinion is it's a waste of time.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:31 pm

Hey andy

I agree also mate on what you have said.
    I would not ever waste my time having to fumble around for something which I am carrying on my person. I have been in situations where I have carried a keyring Kubotan etc etc. and when S&&& and fan met the thought of them did not even enter my head. It was my most devastating tool at the time to the area which was open. Hands, elbows, etc etc.

It is the same as any weapon, you can be trained and train some more, yet 9 times out of 10. you end up using your hands, elbows, knees, etc etc. the weapons dont even come into it.

I want my methods simple, devastating, and workable. each to their own. but I want to be as capable as I can be without having to rely on an equaliser. however training in weapons is different as its been pointed out it is fantastic for hand to eye co-ordination. reflexes, and timing drills.

In a nut shell for me, if shit and fan meet, get in, get done, and get the hell out.

Craig

PS,
    Nice posts guys, keep them coming.
    cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:13 am