The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+7
Michael W Wright
bobspour
Peter Skillen
Alban Balliu
paul scothern
D.Hughes
Davey
11 posters

Training and Money

Davey
    Davey

Training and Money Empty Training and Money

Post by Davey Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi People

I was Wondering how much you Spend on your training?
    I hopefully will be starting BJJ at Total Martial Arts Academy if everything looks good when i pop down Thursday night, also starting Complete Self Protection on Sunday which when you add both up will come to an average of £80 a month thats without Gear, Membership and petrol if your driving quite a distance to your club.

hmmm, thats my Beer money gone Smile

Thanks
    Dave.
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Training and Money Empty Re: Training and Money

Post by D.Hughes Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:41 pm

i pay £10 per session for my class's (1 hour class), plus £30 membership per year.
    it is a fairly expensive hobby, but not bank busting. and its better for you than beer lol!
    paul scothern
    paul scothern

Post by paul scothern Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:57 pm

i've driven 15000 miles to train with lee over the last 3.5 years so god knows how much that has cost me, probably best not knowing!
    Alban Balliu
    Alban Balliu

Post by Alban Balliu Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:17 pm

Paul i live further than you mate, so what would that make it?
    Plus the training in London every day.

Like my brother said to me the other day with all this money that i have spent i could have hired a bodyguard and not have to worry about training.
    Laughing
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:36 pm

More to the point how much is your training worth?
    bobspour
    bobspour

Post by bobspour Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:43 pm

I must have spent a fortune over the years! It must have come back though a thousandfold... Incidentally I charge £5 per lesson for Muay Thai. Classes last 1 1/2 to 2 hours so bloody good value for money i think.
    Michael W Wright
    Michael W Wright

Post by Michael W Wright Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:05 pm

Its all relative Dave, depends how much of an expenditure £80 a month is for you, and how big a deal martial arts is in your life.

Since 1996 I have spent over £100k on my training.

But I don't get out much.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:43 am

I haven't given much thought to how much money I have spent either on a monthly basis recently or over the 32 years I've trained.

I do know I've spent an ocean of sweat, a fair amount of blood, most of my free time and what feels like all of my energy.
    Having said that, it's saved my life on a fair amount of occasions so I am happy with the deal I got Laughing

As Michael said, it is all relative and a very personal matter on what value you put on that £80 and the value of what you learn as a result.
    I hope the CSP sessions are value for money but again, that is a personal opinion.

I'm not there this Sunday as I'm with Bob on a course, but Mick is taking the class and there looks like there's going to be a good turnout so is definitely going to be a good session.
    I'd pay £10 to just hear one of Mick's jokes - but not the Bruce Forsythe one - that's naff Laughing
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:00 pm

leave it out
    pale
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:02 pm

good game good game Laughing
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:05 pm

so much better than last weeks!
    x
    Craig Penman
    Craig Penman

Post by Craig Penman Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:52 am

As above, having trained for 28 years, god only knows what I've spent on training. it's cost me relationships, jobs, friends and the list goes on. the main thing above all else is the kind of people you will be mixing with, generally in most martial arts clubs you will be surrounded by people who will motivate and inspire you not only in your training this will spill over in to your personal life and ultimately your character will develop alongside your combative skills, Not bad for £80.
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:04 am

Hear hear x
    Dave Turton

Post by Dave Turton Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:19 am

if you are too ocncerned about financial cost then you are in a semi-serious HOBBY
    If however the costs in time, pain sweat and cash have been worth it, then you are in a serious Life Choice..
    When (after 10 years previous training) I found the instructor I wanted to learn from most .. he was in Pontypool South Wales, and I was then living in North Manchester
    I willingly travelled the 220 mile trip regularly for a whole weekend over the months of nearly 20 years

to me the 'costs' werent reallya consideration .. but being taught by John & Gordon Warfield WAS
    Davey
    Davey

Post by Davey Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:54 am

Thanks for the Feedback Guys.

Don t get me wrong, I'm not putting a price to your training and hope I have not offended anyone, I was just curious to see how much people spend.

I might even be to old to be doing this four or five times a week, so I think three times a week will have to do for now, and training in my gym at home at other times.

Financially Yes! I admit I cant afford that much and £80 was just what I worked three nights a week out at, but I will end up paying more because I hope to be getting a few private lessons off Al Peasland, just to start me off in this style of training, Coming from a Defensive, Block and Strike background it will probably take me a while to get used to things.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:56 pm

Hi Davey

Without spilling any beans, we're hoping to be able to provide a much more cost effective solution for you and anyone else in the near future but more to come on that later.

Definitely not offended anyone mate. It's a sensible question. Self Protection, Martial arts, etc, mean different things to everyone. They play a different part in each of our lives and sit at a different level in each of our priorities so for some, £10 per week may be too much depending what they are trying to achieve.

I've personally not counted what I have spent financially only because it is a way of life for me and an accepted expense, but my priorities are different and personal to me.

Good tuition and training doesn't have to be expensive, nor does expensive training always mean it'll be good Wink

Take care and we look forward to having you in the group mate

Al

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:15 am