The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+5
Horioni
Dave Stanswood
Al Peasland
Craig Penman
Mick Tully
9 posters

what do you get from martial arts?

Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

what do you get from martial arts? Empty what do you get from martial arts?

Post by Mick Tully Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:28 am

Hi guys,
    I have just got back from an amazing weekend training in Edinburgh with Guro Inosanto.Whilst there i went out for dinner with some of the most inspirational group of people i am so glad to call my friends,as i was sitting at the dinner table i pondered on 1..how i got to be in such great company and 2...how i now view exactly what i get out of training.

I'll try and answer the 2nd question 1st

Like most of us i got into training for the usual reasons ie bullied and scared and wanting to defend myself...as i progressed through my training i realised that i was still the same frightened little boy but started to just handle it better.So therefore i think my main driving force was to destroy both my nerves and fear and stupidly anyone who got in my way.
    As the years have gone on I have found myself moving further and further away from that and more to learning to love myself and others,which brings me to my point,
    I sat at the table on Friday night surrounded by some of the most well rounded people/martial artists in this country enjoying good food and great conversation
    and realised that i had found what i was searching for and what martial arts has given me.
    Through my training i have met my wife i have been with for nearly 20 years
    A best friend in Alan Peasland who i love more than if he were my own blood
    Mentors and friends who have helped me imeasurably in my developement as an artist and human being

Love and friendship

not bad returns from a hobby i started just so i could learn to kick someones arse?

The answer to Question 1?
    To that i have no f*cking idea!!!
    i'll spare the namechecks from the dinner table apart from the fact that to me they are all heroes of mine
    mick x
    Craig Penman
    Craig Penman

what do you get from martial arts? Empty Re: what do you get from martial arts?

Post by Craig Penman Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:54 am

Hi all,
    After reading this post i had a little ponder for a second too....and to me the answer was obvious to your first question, you were sitting in the company you were because you have put yourself out there and got off your butt and out of the little comfortable routine's we all sometimes fall in too. but more than that you don't get invited to the table for turning up at seminars, you did so because when you are there you gave it your heart and soul and then some.
    I have had a full year of training with my hero's, again I'll save the namechecks but have found each and every one of them to be extremely open, kind and generous both personally and with martial knowledge if you show good old fashioned honest intension.

as for question two, that one i have no f*cking idea to,

Craig.
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:36 am

Michael,

Perhaps your answer to Q1 is more of how they came to be sat breaking bread with you and not the other way around Wink

Sounds like you had a great weekend mate, sorry I missed it.

Now........ what are we doing about the new venture? - call me Wink
    Dave Stanswood
    Dave Stanswood

Post by Dave Stanswood Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:02 pm

I can only echo whats already been written here. I wanted to learn how to kick ass and look cool (sad i know). Then i caught hooked on the spiritual side and realised its so not about the fighting. Fighting when done well is basic and repetitive and ultimately depressing. Why spend years honing my skill for something which if im smart enough will never happen. Dont get me wrong i still like having my butt handed to me on a regular basis. But its the constant battle with myself to continue that i enjoy. I think the greatest gift is the human body i like learning how to use my to its full capacity both on a physical plane as well as a mental plane. Through this i have gone halfway round the world and met some truly scary/inspiring people and that lets me know im still bottom of the class and i love it. I now live for today and do not worry about tomorrow. A wise man once said ' yesterday was history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift thats why its called the present'.

Live long and prosper

Dave
    Horioni
    Horioni

Post by Horioni Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:03 pm

I wanted to be able to walk on rice paper and leave no trace....
    and to a 7 year old in Ireland back in the 70's that was something to aim for!

Since then i have trained in 30 plus Arts starting with Judo at 7 to Jujitsu at 39, used and made weapons from most cultures Bow to Sling, Staff to Spear, Axe to Sword, Knife to Cleaver, Rolled up Magzine to a Packet of Polo!
    From dojo to mat, from street to ring, broken bones lost blood, been stabbed and battered over the years, I have met good and bad people along the way and some i call brothers, but have loved every bit of the journey that im on.

For me Martial Arts is my way of life, its there all the time not just for the 2 hours when your in a class or dojo. Always keeping the white belt mentality keeps me in the buzz.

I still cant do that rice paper trick thought... Very Happy
    esther
    esther

Post by esther Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:39 pm

Hi guys.Upon reading these replies, ive decided that they have a certain romantic sound to them.Ive only been learning mma for 18 mths, but for me, i decided early on, that its the best thing ive ever done.I wish i had met Tony T, a lot earlier.But now is better than never!! Ive thoughly enjoyed meeting the people i have met.Some have a lasting impression in my mind.Its also very nice to see guys being open about the way they feel!! well done. Very Happy
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:06 pm

For me it's given me the ability to focus better (I have ADHD), my concentration span and confidence within my own abilities has improved immensly and the sense of comeradery gained from the people i train with just spurs me to go further. I've found my closest circle of friends have a higher regard of respect for me now too. My confidence seems to influence the attitude of my lesser confident friends. I've started delving more into the spirtual side of the arts recently and have found a new love for the arts. I think the greatest thing i have learnt through training is the respect not only for yourself but for others too.
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:59 pm

great posts guys
    mick x
    Michael Turner
    Michael Turner

Post by Michael Turner Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:21 pm

Good post Mick, sounds like you had a great weekend.

I'm jealous, I've read & heard so many great things about Dan Inosanto & his seminars from so many people & have always wanted to go. With limited JKD experience though I've never known where or if I'd fit in.

I've had a similar experience to you. I'd had a hard & enlightening days training (one of the best days training I've had) at a seminar with instructors that I'd seen & read about in the magazines for years. I didn't have a partner so I spent the day partnering one of the instructors! After the seminar we had a wonderful meal at a nice restaurant. I was sitting with the other students on the course all talking about the days training surrounded by so many great martial artists & enthusiastic people. I knew then thats where I wanted to be & the type of people that I wanted to be with.

That weekend definitely changed how I viewed my training & the direction I've took.

Mike
    Michael W Wright
    Michael W Wright

Post by Michael W Wright Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:19 pm

Al Peasland wrote:Perhaps your answer to Q1 is more of how they came to be sat breaking bread with you and not the other way around Wink

Agreed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:14 am