The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

5 posters

How long is to long?

adamuk
    adamuk

How long is to long? Empty How long is to long?

Post by adamuk Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:14 pm

In a recent conversation with Eddie Quin we started to discuss over-training.

Having been side lined for most of 2008 with pneumonia, I was finally given the all clear in December 2008 and the Doc has said it is ok to return to gentle training.....basically I've restarted doing interval training on the running machine.
    But although I appreciate that I'm going to have to return slowly, I'd prefer to build my cardio through muay thai and grappling sessions.

Now my local thai boxing gym has 3 sessions a week and these last 2.5 hours each!!!
    This seems extremely long, and I have had friends that are fit attend one session and be shattered for the rest of the week! After a few sessions they decided to find other arts to train in.

I know one round on the pads is going to be a struggle at first especially after being out for so long, but in general for the average fit guy who trains in Thai Boxing is 2.5 hours the normal or are your sessions shorter?

In comparison, the local Kickboxing club runs classes at 1 hour only.
    The local MMA classes run for 1 hour.
    BJJ is also 1.5 - 2 hour sessions.

Cheers for the feedback.

Adam.
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

How long is to long? Empty Re: How long is to long?

Post by Mick Tully Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:45 pm

Hi mate
    i've always found that if you are learning new material then 90mins is more than enough as at the 1 hour mark you don't retain any more info anyway....so then just drill and play with the new material for 30mins.Funny you mentioned Bjj and its length of lessons.....Rigan Machado always maintained that you should 'go' @ 20% but 'go' for 8 hours!
    I see some MMA guys beast each other for an hour.....but what are they really learning and secondly what are they doing to their bodies? The way Bob teaches its a joy to spend 3 hours learning technique but he can drill you and have you blowing out of your ar$e in 15mins.
    In short i think it comes down to what you put in effort wise v time wise
    good luck on the comeback trail mate
    mick x
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:54 am

doesnt really matter how long the class is.
    if the teacher is any good, he will tailor it to your level anyway. so explain your situation, your needs, and your goals.
    if he isnt willing to help you in a way that benefits what is best for you and yoru personal health and safety, you have found the wrong teacher!
    if he is, then stay with him!

Post by Guest Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:14 am

I think Mick hit the nail on the head with this one. Long classes, short classes, either way, there is only a certain amount of information you can take in in that one hour period as mick said . so decent techniques and drilling is the key. id work to 90 minutes tops but as mick says, first hour learn the techniques and then spend time drilling each one the rest of the time.

Good luck with your training mate. keep us informed.

Craig
    adamuk
    adamuk

Post by adamuk Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:40 am

Thanks Guys,
    I appreciate all the feedback.

Think I'll have to try a few private lessons and build back up to a class session.
    Seems to me exactly what Mick said that after 1 hour (more like 10 mins when you have been bed ridden for months) that if your unfit your concentration levels are going to drop and then nothing is going to sink in.

I remember the classes used to run in cycles, 15 mins warm up, 15 mins stretching, 15 mins padwork, 15 mins fitness training, etc.........just always struggled with 2.5 hours....and hate to say it, but started to get bored and just fancied going home for a hot dinner.

It was like a mini seminar every class I attended! lol

Good value for money though at £7.50 per session, when BJJ can be £15. a lesson down this way!
    Dave Turton

Post by Dave Turton Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:32 am

there's a reason why classes in school are shorter than classes in university ... The level of the students..

beginners need shorter classes than the more experienced, until of course the 'more experienced' enter a new skill place..

for example I teach private tuition in ONE HOUR SLOTS.. now people new to my methods regardless of their current skill in whatever, say a 3rd dan TKD man doing grappling, get ONLY one hour..

then as they progress and understand more, they can HAVE more time.

take a seminar, I was recently, (actually LAST YEAR NOW.. but in December Ha Ha) I was asked to do a 5-6 hour seminar and I refused. ... 3-4 is the MAX people should train to learn, not just train to sweat... and then with at least one hours break between sessions

its much better to train for THREE hours and absorb 80% then train for a further 2TWO hours and aborb NOWT
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:44 pm

This is a post I put on my own forum on the subject...

It's the most important question for everyone training.

Firstly, if you are waking up feeling like crap the next day and are stiff and sore for several days after it's too much. If you didn't know you trained the the day before it's too little. You should know that you trained, when you touch your muscles they should feel slightly tender and you should recover in 24 hours. Sometimes we have to test our mental and spiritual 'mettle' and push farther than we think we can but this should not be done too regularly. Training should build up intelligently over a period of time. IMO 3 times a week is minimum, anything less than that and you are wasting your time. You need to always be skill training but that can cross many borders.

If you train weights, train for connection rather than isolation and if you don't, bodyweight, (yours and others) and/or heavy weapons will do. Some people need more conditioning than others as we are all built (both mentally and physically) differently. Most arts like Tai Chi are designed as a complete work out and you can train differently every day of the week. Variety is the spice of life so constantly change your routines, they should include (in no particular order) qigong, meditation, conditioning, flexibility, form, pairs work, weapons, padwork and sparring.

Train according to your age, condition, nature and objectives. Constantly research, get the best instruction you can and try to do some training every day, make it your lifestyle, the more time you spend training, the more time and energy you will find to do other things. You cannot afford NOT to train, but too many people either train too hard and burn out quickly or never get into it enough to reap the benefits.
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:25 am

Good solid sensible advice as always Mr.Rowe
    mick x

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:42 am