The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

5 posters

Long term goals

moldeeside

Long term goals Empty Long term goals

Post by moldeeside Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:01 pm

Evening all
    just wondering what is everyone after long term from their training or lifestyle?
    Is it a feeling of confidence, or feeling fearful less often, or even quietly knowing that they could get the better of people who have bullied them previously?

Realistically a high percentage of the people on here could seriously hurt people if they felt like it, so there must be another reason, maybe to help others, or feel that they are giving something back by running self defence or fitness classes?

No deep reason for the question, I just got wondering how other people think and feel about it all.

Personally I`ve always struggled with speaking up for myself, so I`d like to be able to do that because thats something I really admire in people. To state your case without getting aggressive is a real art and one I`m learning all the time.

cheers, take care all

Mol
    Steve Heneghan
    Steve Heneghan

Long term goals Empty Re: Long term goals

Post by Steve Heneghan Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:37 am

Hi Mol,
    Nice question, thought provoking.... When I started training many (no really...many !) years ago it was about confidence to face an aggressor, now it's more likely to be confidence to known that I can control the situation without violence (but as a last resource).
    Right now I get a great feeling of integrity and honesty from training, there's very little bullshit when you are sparring hard with someone and you can each do real damage.
    I am also a suit & tie person during the day and I need the change to keep me balanced !
    I think that martial arts are a great metaphor and aid to developing the interpersonal skills that you are doing and I do some coaching training where I use these ideas, By the way, as a regular contributor on this forum, you don't show any problems with speaking up for yourself in a constructive way !
    I have just posted a reply to Matt on another thread in a similar vein, a lot of it is in how we talk to ourselves. I notice that you use words like struggled and aggressive in your post and we know exactly what you mean. How about, just experimenting with changing those words for a more empowering and I bet, more accurate statement ?
    I know there are a lot of people on this forum who are NLP practitioners as welll as martial artists and it would be great to see comments from them, I think the combined mental strategies of NLP and martial arts are awsome...
    Keep learning
    I agree
    Dave Turton

Post by Dave Turton Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:43 am

At 61 and with over 45 years involved in the combat arts, I guess my long term goals have shortened to 'not-so-long' term goals..

I can honestly say that my original long term goals have been re-thought several times....

from wanting to be able to 'fight back'
    to getting a Green belt (why green I cant remember but I was a bit obsessed with that goal about 40 years ago)
    to getting a 'black belt'
    to formulating my own system
    to starting my federation
    to leaving something worthwhile after I am no longer here
    I guess the long term goals altered as my life progressed
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:32 am

Right now, my goal is to make sure my training enhaces all aspects of my life.

It never used to be this however. For a long time it was more about, how hard can I learn to hit. How capabale a fighter can I become.

I guess age and life experiences have helped to adjust my reason for training somewhat - as well as some very positive influences close to me.

For me, if my training is capable of enhancing all of my life then it's not worth all the effort. We spend alot of time in the gym, if all we get from that is a heavy right hook, then that's not a big enough payback for the effort.

For me, training gives me the skills that I can translate to everything else. As Steve has said, Martial Arts is a brilliant metaphor for life and I can draw analogies and parallels from my training to every other apsect of my life - until the cows come home. Laughing

Balance is the key word - Steve has already mentioned it.
    We must have balance in our training, some hard sessions, some soft. We must also have balance in the rest of our lives.
    For me, training has the lessons and the information that I can learn all of those skills.

So yes, my long term goal is to be physically capable of protecting myself and my loved ones, it's also to feel confident and courageous. To have clarity and focus and to constantly test myself. It's also to see just how much information I can learn from this amazing Martial Art world and see how many other people I can help with it.

Stay Safe - Have Fun

Al x
    moldeeside

Post by moldeeside Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:41 pm

thanks for the replies
    you`ve got me nailed there Steve, I sometimes talk about myself like I`m no good at all but I`m getting much better at looking on the happy side of things. I only realised what I`d typed when you mentioned it ! I`m fine on here and only say what I`d say in person, but I definitely find it easier behind a keyboard and sometimes wonder if my views are valid, or how dare I disagree with a black belt etc. And its not false modesty, I just get a bit of fear because I think I`d be crushed if someone said `who the f**k are you talking to sonny jim?`
    I also work in an office and its tricky at times because you have to balance between respect for people higher up the food chain, and not being walked all over.

Like Al says its good to apply the principles of your training to everyday life, so if you can dig deep and press on with things, or find a way through tricky times in the dojo then you can also stay up to make butties for the kids when you`re knackered, or do the driving when you missus wants a drink on a night out.

And Dave T, your goals may not be as long term as others but your achievements are genuinely something to write home about, 45 years in the business and one of the most respected names in the game mean you must have done something right.

thanks for the replies, very much appreciated

Mol
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:52 pm

I dont think i can add anything to what all you fine gents have said.....still nice too hit really hard though lads eh?
    hahahaha
    just kidding.....MA has given me way more than i ever thought i was getting all those years ago marching up and down the mat.I live the life i always dreamed i would not have,met my beautiful wife,made life long friends and continue to do so,met my heroes and in some cases become not only their student but friend as well....and equipped me better to handle the slings and arrows of the daily grind....now does 5 a side deliver all that?
    As for long term goals?
    I'm still thinking about that one!
    stay safe and keep happy guys
    mick x

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:29 am