The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

3 posters

I'm looking to incorporate some new take-downs, advice needed.

Alex

I'm looking to incorporate some new take-downs, advice needed. Empty I'm looking to incorporate some new take-downs, advice needed.

Post by Alex Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to work on some new take-downs / throws I can use in my BJJ game which will also translate well to self defence, kind of killing two birds with one stone if you will. I understand the ground isn't always where you want to be in a self defence situation but it would be nice to have the option if it's needed.

I've worked on a few basic judo throws in training as well as some wrestling, currently the one that I feel works very well for me is the double-leg. I like the way you can shoot in or execute from a clinch, also I can get it to work against people bigger than me - which is helpful as I'm a tall skinny guy (I generally weigh around 11 - 11 1/2 stone).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Alex
    Stuart Rider
    Stuart Rider

I'm looking to incorporate some new take-downs, advice needed. Empty Re: I'm looking to incorporate some new take-downs, advice needed.

Post by Stuart Rider Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:18 pm

Take a look at Geoff T's Dead or Alive, that has a few good throws and take downs in.

However from the Combat Ju Jitsu i have done i've found that the best throws and take downs are the ones that are not generally found in the combat sport based arts or they have been adapted for competition.

If you want to find some material from someone who knows their stuff on both self-protection / Combat Ju Jitsu & MMA check out Kevin O'Hagan.
    His website has a few brief clips from some of his dvds.
    Can be found here;

http://www.kevinohagan.com/Webpages/Pages/Videos.htm

Down and Out are the ones that concentrate on take downs and finishes on the ground.
    Dave Turton

I'm looking to incorporate some new take-downs, advice needed. Empty Re: I'm looking to incorporate some new take-downs, advice needed.

Post by Dave Turton Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:20 am

use more trips and takedowns than throws... much more chance of success
    Stuart Rider
    Stuart Rider

Post by Stuart Rider Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Looking through my collection last night, Dave Turton also has a great dvd available on street takedowns, well worth a look.
    Dave Turton

Post by Dave Turton Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:31 am

cheers Stu .. cheque on its way mate Ha Ha

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:07 am