The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+7
Mick Tully
Al Peasland
D.Hughes
Dik
Les Turpin
Millerb
Abnett
11 posters

Children and the arts.....

Abnett
    Abnett

Children and the arts..... Empty Children and the arts.....

Post by Abnett Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:01 pm

Just out of interest really. I find the most common reason parents send their kids to training is for self protection. However, there is the other side of the coin. Those of us on here with kids (and those without really) know and understand the discipline and respect that comes with the arts.
    I intend to train my mrs daughter in basics, but it's more so she can learn about discipline and respect more than the self protection and I truly hope she takes it to school as I'm interested to see what effect it will have on her concentration levels and focus - hopefully for the better - and also to see if she can hone the skill of avoiding conflict without resorting to violence when the aggression is aimed towards her ( i.e. bullies).

What are your views on kids and the arts? and are they training for the right reasons? Is it just a minority that misuse their respected arts? Should the arts be part of the education system such that it teaches discipline and respect?
    Millerb

Children and the arts..... Empty Re: Children and the arts.....

Post by Millerb Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:42 am

Since no one has put a reply on this post I will stick my head above the parapet and give my opinion, for what it's worth.
    I believe that if a child shows a general interest for anything then it is to be encouraged and commended, however, I would be fairly selective with MA classes. Yes they teach discipline and respect, but as you have pointed out it can be misused. Football training teaches discipline and respect, as does a lot of other sporting activities, however, with the seemingly lack of physical education within schools these days, I think the chances of getting it as part of the curriculum are slim.
    Having that said, more and more schools are adding extra outside school activities. I know for certain the primary school my kids attend have football, music, languages and I think it is Taekwondo instructors for a class every week. COuld be the start of something good?

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:34 am

Hey Guys

sorry for the delay in replying, been up to my ears with stuff.
    I agree with brady to be honest. Our local school has done month long taster sessions of Karate for the kids who wish to take part, it is not compulsory but they had done basketball, dance, athletics, rugby etc. But there were more than a few children in class. who were not pushed by their parents to it either.

They came away from the class with an understanding of the arts, all be it basic but what more do you need for a child. and some of them have gone on to do it outside of school also. The parents I have spoken to have said that not only has the childs confidence gone up in general but their grades have started to improve also due to being able to focus more and concentrate on the tasks which they are set.

Part of the curriculum would be a great idea as they do it in the USA called Kickstart founded by Chuck Norris and has done very very well.

who knows, taster classes may be the start of something new for the schools in general. ?

cheers
    Les Turpin
    Les Turpin

Post by Les Turpin Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:00 pm

whatever you teach kids in martial arts ( lets say aged between 5 and 10) it has to be fun, fun fun.

kids have an attention span of about 24.5 seconds unless micky mouse is teaching. i found trying to be all serious and scary did not keep them in class and anything over an hour was too long. encouragement at any level is a must.

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:07 pm

Here Here Les

The class I saw was very fun indeed. the kids were enjoying every second of it, and all laughs and giggles as they trained but by the end of the month it was amazing how much had actually sunk in.

Looked so good I wanted to go play, apparently I was too big for class.
    Ah well maybe next time.

cheers
    Les Turpin
    Les Turpin

Post by Les Turpin Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:48 pm

lol Very Happy

do you also find some parents just use it as a creche?

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:02 pm

Maybe Les to be honest
    anything that stops them having to pick their kids up and give them an extra hour to themselves. My son done it when it was at the school.

That got him into Aikido fora while as he wanted to join, then he done his first weapons grading, first kyu then left. now he trains with me so looking to get him into boxing as thats what he wants to do next.

but he decides what he wants to do, and IF he wants to go, then ill take him. no pressure that way he decides and is not forced into something he does not want to do.

cheers
    Dik
    Dik

Post by Dik Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:32 pm

I teach lots of kids.

I agree with Les. It's all about fun, with the lessons being 'hidden' within the class.

I'm definately the biggest kid in the class. I sometimes think the kids follow me just to see what I'll do next.

Dik

Post by Guest Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:54 pm

hey guys im lookin for a martial art for my 8 year old son. He is a very quiet lad and was wonderin what to start him with. He loves the idea of boxing [due to craig gettin him a pair of gloves and head guard sighned by geoff] but mummy couldnt bare to watch him in the ring lol and want to be a part of what he is doing. If anyone has any ideas on what to start him with id be pleased to hear albino
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:00 pm

hi skyblue, welcome to the forum Very Happy
    have you thought of starting him off with judo?
    or perhaps JKD would be a great place to start?

Post by Guest Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:11 pm

thanks rick as the translation of judo is ''the gentle way'' sounds great to me lol. Next question can anyone be recommended who teaches in coventry.
    Question
    p.s hi uncle craig love bay

Post by Guest Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:40 pm

Hey Bay mate.

welcome to our own little corner of the internet.

I am sure we will find something you will like mate, we got loads of decent guys on here buddy.

keep the answers coming guys.

king
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi Skyblue

I agree, Judo would be a great place to start, particularly at that age.
    Kids love play fighting and rolling around anyway - Judo can be made into fun for kids of that age.

Boxing at that age can also be fun and if I was to recommend anywhere it would be The Red Corner, with Glen Smith.
    He has lots of kids classes that aren't all about getting in the ring and fighting with each other.
    He also has a summer camp type setup where you can send your children along each day for a couple of weeks to have lots of fun and games.

The good thing with the Red Corner is that there is no pressure for the youngsters to compete, it's all about having fun.
    You can also join in yourself Wink

Whatever art you send your children to, as has already been said, it has to be fun, and, in my opinion, it also has to be of their own choosing.
    Martial Arts in particular are tough hobbies and past times, which is why I believe your child should want to be there at all times, because as they progress and get older, then it may get tougher and thats not fun if you're heart is in-it.

Basically, I'd take him along to watch a few classes in different arts, Judo, Boxing (Glens club), Karate, JKD, anything really.
    Let him see which ones he's particularly interested in - if at all!

Good luck to both of you.

Al Laughing

Post by Guest Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:22 pm

Hey Al

Quality info as usual mate
    and Thanks a lot, much appreciated. Wink

Post by Guest Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:32 pm

oh yea and erm....

Welcome to the forum Skyblue lol!

Post by Guest Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:43 pm

Thanks Al and if im lettin the lad choose then im sure ill be gettin some more info on The red corner as that is what he wants to do is boxing. As you say to grab him he gotta be into it fully and he loves the pads as he does abit with me i suppose i gotta losin the apron strings and let him go for it hey. Ive bookmarked the web addy for Glen Smith and intend to have a good look. Thanks for your reply Al Laughing
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:17 pm

No probs

Glen's a great guy and there's a wonderful vibe at the Red Corner which is a reflection of Glen himself.

Lots of stuff going on there for the kids. He has some amazingly talented kids doing street dance classes as well.

Let me know how you get on.

AL

Very Happy

Post by Guest Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:22 pm

Street dance sounds like fun.
    I heard about that a while back but erm forgot lol!

My son wanted to do street dance a while back then changed his mind, I will have to call in and catch up with Glenn, and bring Ryan along. see what he wants to do....

Hey Al

Is that where you got your nifty dances moves I heard about from?
    Secret dance training when you should have been training with Mick?

jocolor
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:40 pm

nah, Al got his moves from standing in front of the telly as a teenager whilst rocking out to the village people in concert Wink

lol!
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:51 pm

Never could work out what to do with my arms though

What does YMCA stand for anyway? cheers
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:05 pm

never trust a construction worker who hangs out with a red indian...
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:10 pm

i dont know Al, maybe young mens CAMPing association?

lol!
    Al Peasland
    Al Peasland
    Admin

Post by Al Peasland Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Ah - thanks mate - always wanted to know and finally found someone who does - cheers cheers

Wink
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:46 pm

*dons cowboy hat and loads gun with new roll of caps*
    lol!
    Abnett
    Abnett

Post by Abnett Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:48 pm

pmsl! Some good advice and information being sent there. For those with experience what would you say the ideal age for kids to start training as my mrs' daughter is only 4 but constantly wants to fight with me but I feel she's still too young to understand it's for self-defense as opposed to just hitting others for the sake of it........I'm confused.com

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:16 pm