The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

4 posters

‘The Mind Set and Evolution of Modern Martial Arts Establishments’

Tony Terranova
    Tony Terranova

‘The Mind Set and Evolution of Modern Martial Arts Establishments’ Empty ‘The Mind Set and Evolution of Modern Martial Arts Establishments’

Post by Tony Terranova Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:48 pm

Hi Everyone,

In today’s quick fix, no patience, fickle and want everything now society what is the most ‘sustainable’ practical approach to opening and successfully running a martial arts club. For the purposes of this thread please concentrate only on teaching adults (above 16 years old).

Here is some food for thought in the thread responses:

Are uniforms really necessary?: How much tradition is necessary as the reality is we are living in the 21st century?: Martial arts are not necessarily self protection, is it best to teach both or only one or the other?: If we are teaching martial arts do we actually have a responsibility to teach self protection?: The syllabus mix: is crystallizing into only one style of martial arts best or is generic best?: How much and how important is it that fitness and strength training are taught as part of the class sessions?: Should nutrition be taught?:

I look forward to seeing everyone’s valuable comments as this is a subject close to my heart having witnessed so many changes since I started training in the early 1980’s.

Regards to all
    Tony. T
    Michael W Wright
    Michael W Wright

‘The Mind Set and Evolution of Modern Martial Arts Establishments’ Empty Re: ‘The Mind Set and Evolution of Modern Martial Arts Establishments’

Post by Michael W Wright Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:57 pm

Hello Tony,

Some very good questions about how the attributes or perceived benefits of martial arts training should be honestly positioned to a prospective student.

In any other business, you have to identify the customer need and ensure that you fulfil that need, otherwise your customers will soon look elsewhere. Commercial martial is very bad at identifying the student’s need, and worse at ensuring that need is honestly fulfilled. The problem starts with modern martial arts promotion, which to be honest I see falling very much in the realm of Bullshit Bingo. Look at the average ad these days “Kickboxing, Grappling, MMA, Weaponry, Self Defence, Trapping, Boxing, Clinching, Confidence, Fitness, Skill, Fun, Self Development….” By the time you have finished you can be sure to call “House”. How is any student supposed to understand whether what you offer is going to fill their need? To be honest many commercial instructors don’t really care, just throw them in and sheep dip them, get them on the direct debit, and baffle them with technique. Then these same instructors scratch their heads when their student retention starts to go south of 10% after 6 months.

I made a conscious decision some time ago to stop trying to impress people with a shopping list of all the martial arts I offer, and rather just clearly articulate what a prospective student can hope to gain from their study. I broke this down into three simple categories:

- Combat Athletics
    - Self Protection
    - Occupation Specific (Police, Military, Security)

Back to some of your points. If a student articulated to me that their need is Combat Athletics then they would certainly be working hard on their fitness, strength, conditioning and nutrition. That’s what they asked for, that’s what they signed up for, so that’s what they get. If someone came to me looking for Self Protection then I wouldn’t force the athletics side on them, I would fulfil the need that they came to me with, and focus on the SP material (I would of course encourage physical conditioning as part of that). Finally, I’m not going to waste a Police Officer’s time by making him do energy drills or rounds on the Thai pads when he came to me wanting to understand the mechanics of Knife Defence. He/she has a specific need, its my job to fulfil that need. So to answer your question, what "should" be taught to a student is what they asked for, and what we told them we were going to teach.

You also mentioned the notion of traditions. I always get jumped on when I say what I am about to say but that’s fine. The vast majority of traditions that we uphold in martial arts are there purely to reinforce a position of authority for the instructor. Bow to me, call me Sifu or Sensei or Sir, ask a senior student before you bother me with trivia, you don’t get to spar or roll with me, make sure you wear a t-shirt with my name on it. What has any of that got to do with the development of a student (that thing we get paid for)? Nothing. What has any of that got to do with being a good teacher? Nothing. People say its about respect - horseshit, its about our ego. Our students have shown respect by giving up their time and money to train with us, that’s the only respect they need to show - the rest is down to us. Show them respect by treating them as an equal, a friend, a training partner. Show them respect by being in shape and on top of your game so you can round robin and spar with all of them. Show them respect by treating them as an intelligent adult in 2008, by dispensing with traditions from a culture and belief system that means nothing to any of them, so don’t pretend it does just so you can put barriers in the way of them and you. Just get on with doing your job.

So to me I guess its simple: Clearly distinguish and position, in simple language, what it is you offer. Listen to what the student is looking for, make sure that you teach them exactly that, show them respect and treat them as an equal, and they tend to stick around. I think people appreciate an honest approach.

However, I'm sorry to say this isn’t a commercial approach or a financially lucrative one. It requires lots of one to one attention, or a focus on very small groups. That simply isn’t practical in a large academy looking to fill 25 classes a week with hundreds of people. What approach is practical for such a place? Eyes down for a full house.

MW
    stephengrff4
    stephengrff4

‘The Mind Set and Evolution of Modern Martial Arts Establishments’ Empty Re: ‘The Mind Set and Evolution of Modern Martial Arts Establishments’

Post by stephengrff4 Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:20 pm

Hi Michael,

Nice reply

Stephen
    Tony Terranova
    Tony Terranova

Post by Tony Terranova Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:22 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your comprehensive reply which is based on your proven experiences and good custom and practices – it is full of depth and wisdom. You have given me a lot of food for thought which I will be discussing with my martial arts partner Alan Macdonald.

Good luck with your training and once again thanks

Regards,
    Tony
    Steve Rowe
    Steve Rowe

Post by Steve Rowe Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:08 pm

I think the answer is the same for any business. Look long term, keep up your own studies, keep your honesty and integrity, give respect to both instructor and students. I've run a successful club for over 35 years and association with over 15,000 students in Europe for over 20 years, in my experience the karate students want the suits and gradings, we charge a simple monthly fee that covers everything including licences and gradings, that way the student knows what they will be paying (there are no nasty financial 'surprises') and they know that when they are given a grading, they are worth it. We grade and have uniforms in karate and not in tai chi. If you keep your students (and I have some that have been with me for over 35 years and many over 20 years), you don't have spend all your time recruiting, you also forge friendships over the blood sweat and tears that last a lifetime. Over the last 15 years I have bought a full time Dojo and live over the top, I have 250 students half children and half adult, half male and half female. We also have a full time Dojo in Czech Republic and one in Denmark. All are successful.

As I said - look long term, keep up your own studies, keep your honesty, respect and integrity and you can't go wrong whichever method you use.
    Tony Terranova
    Tony Terranova

Post by Tony Terranova Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:13 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply Steve - very inspiratonal thoughts -
    Regards,
    Tony. T

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:18 am