The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

+5
Dennis jones
D.Hughes
Peter Skillen
moldeeside
kaarl
9 posters

dennis jones training clips

Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

dennis jones training clips - Page 2 Empty Re: dennis jones training clips

Post by Mick Tully Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:36 pm

Love the rough pub analogy kaarl!
    i sort of went into it(forum/cyber pub) because they were talking about my mate who used to be the 'landlord'(GT)who by the way did not need me to stick up for him,and asked politely if somewhat cheekily why they were badmouthing him just because they had run it into the ground and most of their clientel were just there to drink their giro.Like most failing businessmen the new landlords would not show their faces so i could just question them and maybe just mention how good the old landlord was so successful nowadays and perhaps they should rethink their scathing attacks.Anyway i had a quick pint listened to some no marks and left my name.....also hypothetically went to the toilet before i left hahaha (check my posts)
    needless to say they barred me in my abscence.....but the upside is 2 of my mates Rick & Craig open their own pub(all welcome no coaches) hahaha
    and put Myself,Al, TT and Ajarn Bob on the door! Seriously though we have world class guys throughout this forum and on the other one its like the world hide n seek championships
    whats that tell you?
    Mick x

Post by Guest Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:38 pm

LMAO Love it Mick

No airs, no graces, just good old fashion ask and ye shall find philosophy. I too as was Rick and Al, Peter S, and yourself Kaarl, were on that forum and we were all the ones being bad mouthed with reference to our training, who we trained with, why we paid X amount for this that or the other and that they would not pay for such things. then decided to question our ability. It didnt matter what was said or how polite we said it. they would not accept and could not see the value behind this knowledge and instruction. Mick posted twice if I remember, they TRIED to throw and insult which was laughable, and then he got banned.

The point im trying to make is, without honest people, honest martial arts and honest self defence. how can one be honest with anyone else let alone himself?. we all do different styles of martial art. we all practice with different instructors and friends, and yet all we do is pass on what we know works. in the hope that we learn something new, we have something which has been tried and tested. and this forum was set up for those kind of people, and the people who have never done any self defence before or martial art but want to know whats what. EVERYONE is welcome, thats what this place is for. speak your mind by all means. as I know the members we have on here are honest to their chosen art, and speak freely about that which they feel they have learned and can still learn but it takes nothing to show a little respect and honesty and maybe once in a while help someone along the way.

I am over the moon this place has got to where it has. and I had NO doubt whatsoever that we would have such top quality guys and gals on board.

A massive thankyou goes out to Mick, Al, Bob, Tony T, Peter Skillen, Lee Morrison, who are all down as Mods on here and for doing an awesome job in helping run this virtual pub lol!

And thanks to everyone who has signed up and contributes to this wonderful place. Thanks to everyone who has backed us and we will see you all in FEB for our Ultimate Seminar Cool

Take care all
    Craig
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:10 pm

Quailty site this, I dont see myself as the door crew ill just be the dj..Hey mick i thought youd be the tarty girl behind the bar Very Happy drunken
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:37 pm

peter... i had you down as dalton....top billing dude
    well wade garrett at the very least
    hahahaha
    i kill me!
    mick x
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:02 pm

I get it all the time..I though you'd be bigger...normally said after they eventually wake up

Post by Guest Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:07 pm

lol!

classic

Craig
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:10 pm

swayze rocks it with a heap of hillbillies including hardcore legend terry funk and benny the jet....and ends up going the distance with a middle aged businessman?
    wheres the reality there?
    best line? "you're gonna be my regular saturday night thang!"
    oh...and peter...i thought you'd be....older!
    hahaha
    mick x
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Us jedi knights can seem a lot younger than we actually are.... farao
    Dennis jones

Post by Dennis jones Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:00 pm

put Myself,Al, TT and Ajarn Bob on the door!

...What's the money like?

Post by Guest Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:34 am

Blimey Mick its funny you mentioned Benny The Jet.

I remember having a training session with him about 15 years ago.
    I think I still have remnants of me aching in places I still dont know I have.

Blimey, Blast from the past.

Craig
    Mick Tully
    Mick Tully

Post by Mick Tully Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:10 am

top dollar for medways finest den!
    mick x
    Dennis jones

Post by Dennis jones Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:16 pm

Medway! Mick what a S.... h... of a place to live.

I remember someone asking me once: 'Where's the hardest place in Britain Den?' I replied you might live in the poshest part of the country but if you're getting your head kicked in or getting stabbed up on one of its streets then that's got to be the hardest place in the country!

Mind you I was recently talking to a close friend of mine who is a Kurd. Just back from Kurdistan and Iraq...if you want a 'hard' place to live go and move out there! Shocked

Regards Dennis
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:15 pm

i thought you might like to see some clips from the seminar we had with Dennis Jones

Al, Ive used part of the disclaimer off the sd dvd hope you dont mind(you wrote it so well:-))

cheers
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:39 pm

heres a review i wrote

To start with I want to thank Dennis for all his help, from the first time I talked to him I realised he had a very deep knowledge, he wasn’t in it for the money and he was very honest and what he was telling me was simple straight to the point.

many people have ideas of what I call combatives the physical side of self protection and even the simple things can get very complicated I had read some of his samurai on the door columns but never seen the man in action, when I seen his woma clips I could tell instantly he was hitting with power that I had never seen before when I look at the way Dennis Jones moved it was clear he knew what he was doing.

all I can say was I was really excited to find out he was coming up to train, the main reason was after listening to his advice I found that my power more or less doubled in my strong arm strikes and he even managed to improve my slap which I thought I had taken as far as I could and I wasn’t hitting lightly to start with.

It was an afternoon that would leave many martial artists thinking it was too simple to basic, many come to see the “seminar stuff” ...”the special stuff” and even a lot of the “combatives guys” thinking is that it? but this was just a bunch of friends with the same interest and the same realisation that hitting hard was the important bit, landing it was the hard bit simple as

What I can say is the afternoon was like a guide to street confrontation but with more depth and understanding than ive seen before, the basics that worked well for him when he had no choice but protect himself from violence, it was pure simple and direct and very similar to how I had also seen it and his bio mechanics were excellent, every instructor will tell you to keep it simple when it comes to going physical on the street, but they never do that themselves,

If the truth got out very few people would be making any money when it comes to self defence/combatives and people would realise that there’s no reason to make any of it sound more complicated than it is most of the time the basics work and anything else is simply support stuff that’s very rarely needed if you do the basics well and he does them really well his movement is very natural and very fluent.

There was one question that kept popping up again and again at the seminar... Why the hell is no one listening to Dennis Jones!!

After reviewing the footage its packed full of info and tips on training and drills and fundamentally based on how to land the power shot from controlling the aggressor without them realising to closing distance and positioning yourself for an unblock able power shot!
    as with all the footage that I have seen of Dennis there is a lot of depth you can watch it again and again and you can pick up more and more his “Street defence DVD” was my favourite and stood out with its purity and depth, but after training and chatting to him it was clear there was so much more to him.

And let’s not forget his underlying message “you don’t have to be there simply walk away” one of the most important points in any confrontation

Yesterday a friend called up as me an Martyn were busy buzzing about footage etc and he said to us “so...was it what you thought it was going to be?” we both replied at exactly the same time “no...it was much more than we thought it could ever be”

This brings me back to that question... Why the hell is no one listening to Dennis Jones!!

Well I think it’s purely from a business point of view that not many people have a lot to do with him, why because he’s about as honest as they come, the big secret is you just don’t need all that for real combatives and Dennis tells it like it is and if the truth was out there people with the big systems simply wouldn’t be making any money

A big thanks to tony who got the ball rolling by encouraging me to talk to Dennis in the first place and for getting Dennis to come and visit its really made such a huge difference to my life and the others that attended
    tony mentioned at one point about Dennis being an adviser or consultant to me at which Dennis said “no because that would mean that I’m above you, just tell anyone that asks that I’m your friend”
    that really sums him up very humble, honest and straight to the point and as mol said “ he’s got a real gentle way about him”

i highly recommend training with Dennis if you get the chance he doesn’t do this sort of thing very often when he does its dynamite!(unfortunately hes basically retired)

Has anybody else had any experience training with dennis?
    moldeeside

Post by moldeeside Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:44 pm

spot on review of a wonderful day, Dennis is a combination of awesome fighter and about the nicest bloke you could ever meet. No ego - even making fun of his own awful trainers at one point! - and such a calmness about him that it would inspire you no matter what your background.

I think Dennis knows so much about people watching, subtle signals, psychology and of course power shots that he makes a very complex subject seem very simple, boiling it down to `right, this is going bad, I need to knock him out` - thinking over, decide on a shot and a follow up which probably won`t be needed.

It would be worth spending time with him just to sit and listen to him, and how he applies certain basic principles to life. He`s also a great listener and makes you feel like what you`re saying is important, which is a lovely change from most people who just want to blast you with their opinions.

A real gent, can`t think of a better way to sum him up.
    Gav t

Post by Gav t Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Everyone has different methods and prefered techniques etc....but it's all down to the personal preferance, what works for the individual. I do various bagwork drills, from combination punching to the "one shot kill", but i always try to hit as explosive and sharp as i can. I done a bit of boxing so i can punch fairly well anyway, but i've learned a lot from from studying Geoff thompson books/dvds. From that i got turned on (ooohhh errr!) to other guys like Mick coup, John anderson and lately Dennis jones.
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Heres part three, if any of you havent seen it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:55 am