The Self Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Everything Self Defence

5 posters

Instinctive Combatives 6

kaarl
    kaarl

Instinctive Combatives 6 Empty Instinctive Combatives 6

Post by kaarl Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:07 pm

Focused aggression and restrictive striking

Firstly I talk about the importance of focusing all my aggression/determination on the job at hand, when I strike I don’t see pads. I see people intent on harming me, from making every shot count! To exploding with aggression to escape a grab or hold.

We do a little warm up, on our endless search for the “bullet” notice as mol warms up he really starts to send home the aggression, after the years of hitting bags at home, he picks up any new technique very quickly, and sends home some serious power

The harder you can hit with freedom. The harder you can strike with restriction, but you need to train for it there’s some clips of striking from various positions, the list of restrictions can be endless, and even a pre emptive shot can be just as restrictive with the effects of adrenalin, and the decision of when to go and can I still avoid violence? Can I escape?

So from the ground you’re stood on (ice or mud) on to the amount of light you’ve got, could you land the shot on a dark silhouette? A person flailing wildly at you, can you still land that ”bullet”?; Can you even fire a bullet at a static pad? However hard you hit with freedom, there will always be some sort of restriction, near the end you can see us striking a target with a wall directly behind, needless to say if you’re not on target you could seriously damage your hand, lastly were working elbows and open hands while blindfolded,
    with restrictive sight making a big difference in how you land repeated power, hitting with both sides at the same time isn’t a real option unless your hands are made of steel and you’ve got x-ray eyes you’re more likely to miss completely, using on hand to find/grab or control the target and hitting repeatedly with one side works particularly well in this situation, but power is lost when you’re not using full body movement(both sides).one thing I found when working blind is you focus a lot more on the things that you don’t when using your sight(targeting with your hands and focusing on driving your body in)

We use the heavy bag/dummy quite a bit, it weighs around 11 stone(70 kilos) and stands around 6ft 3inches just the fact that your having to target the head or neck makes a big difference, I can put my head down and throw flurries on an ordinary bag, on “heavy bob” every shot needs to be lined up with precision, by using his hand/arms in different positions, the restrictions can be endless, from grabs and holds to, to combining my arms with his to make it really difficult, one of the important factors using this dummy is it always allows for full speed full force attacks,but its only a small part of what i teach

double click on the youtube logo and you can watch it full screen

cheers
    karl
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Instinctive Combatives 6 Empty Re: Instinctive Combatives 6

Post by D.Hughes Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:18 pm

kaarl wrote:
    The harder you can hit with freedom. The harder you can strike with restriction

did you mean to type it that way around mate? or did you mean the harder you can strike with restriction, the harder you can strike with freedom?

Post by Guest Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:21 pm

I think, and due to the instruction I have had,

It is more likely the other way around.

Give yourself a farmers field to strike in with no restrictions and you can hit like a truck with the right training, do this till you are proficient, then put you in something the size of a cubicle to throw the shot, and you WILL i guarantee not hit as hard. because you need to work restrictive training, in order to develop power from close range. not the other way around.

Craig
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:43 pm

shut up because im always right Suspect

I'm still learning to speak properly never mind get it down on paper Shocked

"The harder you can hit with freedom. The harder you can strike with restriction, but you need to train for it"

try this version

if you cant hit hard with freedom, then you certainly cant hit hard with restriction but i think they do really go hand in hand

i think its important to remember that restriction can be endless anything from adrenaline to wet floors to peoples arms

what do you think of the new heavy dummmy?

cheers
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:49 pm

nah mate, restrictive training is all about finding the power within yourself. not mechanics, but finding the intent and releasing it into physical.

think Al would be the best person to comment on it tbh, this is one of his fields of expertise. so much so, he will be covering some of it on the seminar Very Happy

Post by Guest Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:54 pm

Hey mate

Everyone is always right in their own world, god knows i am until the mrs tells me otherwise.

Its all about finding the internal power of oneself, when it matters.

farmers field or phonebox, know that what you train will do the job and from no distance at all.

Craig
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:11 pm

Rick wrote:nah mate, restrictive training is all about finding the power within yourself. not mechanics, but finding the intent and releasing it into physical.

people survive situations every day with no training at all just focused determination and aggression

learn the proper mechanics and add that on the end and its a force to be reckoned with i think mechanics and intent go hand in hand

I'm really looking forward to the seminar,is there a list so we know what each person is covering? Very Happy

know that what you train will do the job and from no distance at all

that covers it nicely Craig
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:18 pm

so why train? Wink

i'll expand on that. you train to develop it more than a normal person with no training. yes, people with no training can do well with intent and aggression, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt train.
    training is developing your tools further.
    in restrictive training, you have no mechanics. you have to find your own way, from the inside, because you have nothing to help on the outside.
    once you find that inner strength, and can turn it into physical, you then take that, and add it to what you have learnt unrestricted.
    combined, this will be much more effective, and powerful than just training mechanics alone.

Post by Guest Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:31 pm

Rick wrote:nah mate, restrictive training is all about finding the power within yourself. not mechanics, but finding the intent and releasing it into physical.

Mechanics plays a big part, of course it does with any training, until you learn the way to strike, kick, choke, etc etc. then it has to be drilled so it is a part of you and does not matter what distance you have to play with. but mechanics kinda goes out the window when restricted as you dont have the same range of motion as before hence you need to find what works for you internally and let it come through on its own.

As Rick says, the power within is about finding something else where you do not have to think, you do not have to work out hip movement, arm movement etc etc. you just find naturally what works for you. there is no right technique to teach the perfect strike from a very short distance as each person varies in size, weight ability and each person has a preferred method. we need to find what works for us and then expand on that.

restrictive training is a brilliant tool and one which I use a lot with students and myself. everyone I have worked with be it MA trained or not, have noticed they cannot when they start throw the same kind of strike they would with a load of space, they have to find a way to bring the power through a different way. and ultimately they all do it and in a very short period of time. once this is done their un restricted power goes through the roof.

Train smart, train hard, and try the drill again, this time dont focus on throwing the head forward, or concentrating on hand positions. just do what your body wants to do and you will naturally find the power and angles best for you.

and make the distance shorter mate. Wink

Craig
    simon Young

Post by simon Young Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:56 pm

I am totaly with craig on this one, to be honest ive never heard anyone else say if you hit well at distance you will hit the same with none?

I hope i am understanding this correct as ive just polished off a bottle of red!

Post by Guest Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:21 am

You understood it perfectly mate,
    learn to hit harder at close range then you will find you get more power in the long run from a distance. not bad for someone who has drank a bottle of red.

Craig
    lol!
    moldeeside

Post by moldeeside Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:36 am

personally I always found that drinking a bottle of red, or at least a good gallon of cider, would always increase my fighting skills and greatly reduce any pain aimed at me.
    Who needs chi or clever stuff when supercharging your blood with stella will always get you a good result? It also used to help me talk really loud and clearly which is never a bad thing.

I`m quite new to all this but I know that hitting close up is a lot harder than having room to move, so I like to go on my heavy bag from very close up indeed and try to almost shock my knuckles into the bag with a jolt, then change range, then try again looking slightly past the bag etc so that you cover a number of things, even hitting it with one eye closed just to make it a bit different.

I`m really looking forward to the seminar because I`ll have chance to watch peoples feet, heads, hips etc and try to mirror whats going on and see how it affects my speed and power.

cheers

Mol
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:06 am

Mirroring/copying is the perfect way to learn...

Post by Guest Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:08 am

Could not have said it better pete.
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:06 am

Just a side note: I have had a conversation with Kaarl on the phone and spoke to him privatly through this board many times.
    I would just like to say that i find his enthusiasm and commitment to his training 100%.
    I know that sometimes he may come across as he thinks he knows it all and such like but his posts are not a fair representaion of this mans charactor from what we have spoke about. kaarl is the first one to admit that he comes across in way he doesnt intend to and has admitted to me he is working on this.
    I for one commend him highly for this as inner growth is the true spirit of self defence and the corner stone of what i teach. I only wish I too would have been as quick to admit my mistakes in the past, I know my true spirit would have grown faster than it has.
    Kudos to you Kaarl.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:35 am

Amen to that pete well said
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:17 am

that's it I'm leaving!

this place is far to positive for me....

thanks guys i appreciate it santa rendeer
    D.Hughes
    D.Hughes
    Admin

Post by D.Hughes Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:06 pm

Pete, i have spoken to Kaarl, and trained with him, and i would agree 110% with everything you said there.

but i have also pointed out that ANY AND ALL comments directed at Kaarl, or anyone else, should always be taken in the most positive sense. if we (the admin/mod team) thought for even a second there was any malice in any of the posts on here, it would be gone as quickly as it was posted. Very Happy
    Peter Skillen
    Peter Skillen

Post by Peter Skillen Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:09 am

I know Very Happy
    moldeeside

Post by moldeeside Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:01 am

you lot must be talking about a different Karl, the one I know is downright evil and yesterday during some floor drills decided to drop his guts in order to weaken and confuse me. And it worked !

Karls one of the happiest and most honest people I`ve ever met in any walk of life and he`s got enough enthusiasm for ten people. Apart from his chemical attacks in a confined space I can`t fault him.
    kaarl
    kaarl

Post by kaarl Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:40 am

im still trying to get over the fact that you wrote
    eggy ringpiece
    on a self defence forum!? Shocked

Post by Guest Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:06 am

I have known Mol to write a lot worse.

but all in good fun, I hope lol!

sounds like training was fun,

Mol next time mate, turn up wearing a gas mask and a haschem suit.
    liven training up a little. lol!

Craig
    moldeeside

Post by moldeeside Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:03 pm

I`ll stock up on cold sprouts and leftover christmas pud before we meet again, then he`ll be sorry.

Off to sort dinner and amuse screaming kids now so hope everyone has a happy and peaceful time over the holidays.

take care

Mol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:27 am